With modern technology, companies are bombarded with data. Sales forecasts, user demographics, sales performance, and more, are all included in such data.
With untamable data, data scientists, database administrators, and business users require the finest database software to achieve control.
You can incorporate the full data lifecycle of your company into your system with database management technology.
A year ago, nearly $46 billion was spent on database management systems globally. Such spending is only going to increase.
You must consider learning all about database management and go through this list of the top database software solutions currently available if you want to be a part of the rising trend.
Before you start reading the list, let us go through some of the basic information that you must be aware of.
Let us begin.
There are various forms of database software designed for different types of use. Of course, the usage scenario defines the user base. Here is a quick list of various database software programs available on the market today:
Analytical Database Software: This kind of database enables users to analyze data from numerous databases statistically. This may be anything from departmental performance to employee performance within a company, and so forth.
Data Warehouse Software: This kind of software enables users to access important data from a variety of databases and centrally store it for report generation and critical insights derivation. Data warehousing detects discrepancies quickly, thus ensuring the integrity of the data.
Distributed Database Software: This database architecture entails the use of a central management system to handle data stockpiled in many places like company LAN, network server, the cloud, etc. Due to its inherent data redundancy, it is often regarded as the safest architecture for databases.
End-User Database Software: An end-user database is a kind of database that keeps information for primary usage by a lone entity (an individual). Microsoft Excel spreadsheets, Google spreadsheets, OpenOffice spreadsheets are all excellent examples of end-user database software. When employed in businesses, these kinds of database software enable data entry and retrieval by people outside the organization. Although the program is simple, it can perform a number of functions, including storage and access of data, model creation using data, and automation of certain repetitive and time-consuming tasks.
External Database Software: This kind of software produces data for many people to access. The data can be mostly accessed online. External database software is intended to handle data collected by various individuals or institutions, either for free or on a subscription basis.
Operational Database Software: This database software enables real-time data modification. This kind of software is excellent for managing client relationships, expenses, etc.
Companies may use database software in myriads of ways, but the three primary ways in which companies use database software include the following:
The most frequent use of databases is as a source of data for a variety of analytical applications.
Businesses stockpile a variety of records spanning from monetary operations to efficiency indicators and everything else that falls in between. They do so to be able to comb through the data to get vital operational insights, and even display the data in a format that anyone can understand with ease.
Companies always want a way to improve their functional offerings. Integrating database software to various applications they use for operations can help them to achieve optimal operations
This may be accomplished via facilitation of information access whether by delivery of real-time data to workers and users. This kind of functionality for multi-user access facilitates team cooperation.
Businesses often utilize database software for consolidation of data into a single dedicated repository, making it easier for users to access pertinent information. This contributes to the development of query-friendly backend support for applications.
By centralizing data, database software may also help organizations enhance specific business processes and information flow inside the company.
Okay now that you know the different types of database software available and the different ways in which companies use database software, it is time to take a close look at the best database software available today.
In short, it is time to read the list.
Let us start.
While I will suggest that going forward you read every word written here, if you are short on time and just want to know the list of database software included in the list, here is a quick view:
- Microsoft SQL Server
- Amazon Relational Database Service
- IBM Informix
- Oracle RDBMS
- SQL Developer
- EMS SQL Manager
- IBM DB2
So now, if you have time, find out the details of each database software and system listed here.
Let us begin!
Knack is a codeless development platform that anybody may use to build bespoke, data-driven applications.
It enables you to create CRM and lead management systems, HIPAA-compliant applications, project management systems, order and quote management systems, inventor management systems, and membership directories. The program is compatible with both mobile and desktop platforms, and for creating a branded experience, you can easily embed any app to your site.
Knack is ideal for all kinds of companies, from charities to multinational corporations, SMBs, and various other forms of businesses. Knack is an essential solution if you want to convert your crude data into a robust online-accessible database.
- Access through Mobile Devices: The program is readily accessible via mobile devices.
- Backup and Recovery: In the event that a computer system malfunctions during a time-consuming updating procedure, the database is returned to its initial condition.
- Supports Diverse Programming Languages: The software is compatible with a large number of different programming languages.
- Permissions and Access Controls: The platform prevents illegal access and grants varying degrees of privileges to various users.
- Pre-Configured Database Templates: Knack is pre-configured with over 40 database templates categorized by company type or functionality.
- A SaaS-based application that eliminates the need for learning coding.
- Integrates with a variety of tools, such as Zapier, for enhanced capabilities.
- The platform supports and contains custom formulae and equations.
- They have an extensive customer base, including Capital One, Intel, Spotify, and HP. Since big brands trust Knack, so can you.
- Web-based interface that is simple and intuitive to use.
The Starter edition of this database system is priced at $39 per month. Monthly fees for the Pro package is $79, while the Corporate plan is $179. At a minimum, the Enterprise package will cost you $299 per month. Although there is no free edition, Knack does provide a 14-day free trial without requiring a credit card.
Commercial clients are free to select from any of the variety of editions to meet their unique business and technological needs.
MySQL Enterprise Edition has a robust collection of advanced features. The technical support is also robust. There are a wide range of administration tools that will assist you in achieving the greatest levels of MySQL scalability, dependability, uptime, and security.
It significantly lowers the complexity, risk, and expense of building and implementing business-critical MySQL applications, as well as administering them.
The product is ideal for clients in IT, eCommerce, social media platforms such as Twitter and Facebook, and government. Numerous OEMs, independent software vendors, and value-added resellers rely on MySQL as an embedded database, including Sony, Cisco, and Symantec.
- Online Training: The company offers live training online. They also conduct webinars. They have a large collection of knowledge base documents, and even throw in a well-compiled documentation
- Exceptional Support: Available 24 hours a day, both email and live chat.
- Permissions and Access Controls: The program enables users to have varying degrees of access rights.
- Different Views of Data: MySQL enables you to see your data in multiple ways.
- Backup and Recovery: The strong data recovery capabilities simplify the process of avoiding data loss in your company.
- Even without programming expertise, it's simple to grasp the tool's fundamental functions.
- MySQL is an open-source database management system that enables data customization.
- Due to the software's cheap cost structure, it is suitable for small companies.
- It integrates easily with the Apache web server.
- Enhanced capabilities for data recovery.
MySQL pricing begins at $2,000 per month for the Standard package. The Enterprise package is priced at $5,000 per month, while the Cluster Carrier Grade Edition is priced at $10,000 per month. They also throw in a free trial offer during signup.
Microsoft's database and analytic software enables the fast delivery of scalable business as well as e-commerce solutions.
Microsoft designed it as a database server. It is a relational database management system (RDBMS). It is intended to store and process a variety of requests, and you may begin developing contemporary apps simply by selecting your favorite platform and programming language.
This technology enables you to use unprecedented speed and dependability to transform raw data into relevant reports that can be sent simply to any device or platform of your choice.
Microsoft SQL server is perfect for companies of all sizes seeking for easy-to-use, cost-effective database management software.
- Excellent Training: Provides in-person, online, and documentation-based training.
- Excellent Support: 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, online support by email and chat.
- Backup and Recovery: The platform has strong backup and recovery capabilities, ensuring that your data is protected against loss.
- The Express and Developer editions are available for free.
- Improved Query Processing: It optimizes speed by using adaptive query processing.
- It's very simple to create a new database server from scratch.
- Without using syntax, the ability to examine data and build many designs and tables is a powerful feature of Microsoft SQL server.
- Capable of processing complicated queries and integrating easily with other applications.
- It comes with a template explorer enabling you to quickly locate many names inside the database system.
- Microsoft SQL Server is a highly advanced and more sophisticated version of Microsoft Access.
Microsoft SQL Server pricing begins at $899 for a one-time payment. The platform provides a free edition with restricted functionality, as well as a free trial. SQL Server licenses are priced at $3,586 and $13,748.
Improvado is a prominent database software application that enables real-time data aggregation for small, medium, and big businesses. It can easily adapt and scale for all marketing needs .
- Easy Reporting: Improvado has powerful reporting capabilities that eliminate up to 90% of manual reporting.
- Multiple Integrations: Improvado integrates with a variety of 3rd party applications, including Facebook, Salesforce, Google Ads, Excel, MailChimp, and several more.
- Visualization of Data: You can simply export data sets to Tableau, Google Data Studio, Google Sheets, and a variety of other tools available for data visualization.
- Cost-effective: Because Improvado does not need SQL expertise to grasp how it works, it completely eliminates the need for paying a developer, thereby saving a lot of money.
- Reduced Downtime: This database software enables uninterrupted grid maintenance and upgrades, thereby eliminating the issues of downtime.
- Both the navigational control and the interface are simple to use.
- Gives constant access to current information about different projects.
- Analyzes data in an intelligent and error-free manner
- Users have the choice of data recovery and backup, too.
- Database documentation is extremely organized and well-maintained, ensuring that you do not run into any trouble.
The business plan begins at $100 per month and includes all the tools necessary to manage your company's data. This software application is ideal for small companies on a budget. If you are going for the Enterprise version you will get bespoke pricing. If you'd want to try out the software's capabilities prior to making a purchase, you may visit the website to arrange a demo version.
This program enables users to manage and expand a cloud-based database system. It offers cost-effective scalability and automates tedious administrative chores like patching, configuration, backups, and even hardware provisioning.
It saves you a lot of time allowing you to focus on providing the performance and security that applications need.
- Flexible and Scalable: Using a singular API call, you can quickly scale database operations using Amazon Relational Database Service.
- Availability: Amazon Aurora, PostgreSQL, MySQL, SQL Server, MariaDB, and Oracle Database are all supported on Amazon RDS database engines.
- Simple to Use: Designed with system administrators, application developers, DevOps engineers, and database administrators in mind, the Amazon Relational Database Service is super simple to use,
- Multiple Programming Languages: Amazon Relational Database Service supports various programming languages.
- Permissions and Access Control: Provides access restrictions and permissions features, as well as data transfer and virtualization capabilities.
- Using a single database system, it can handle and process very heavy workloads.
- You will pay only and only for the resources that you are using at any given time.
- Simple access to databases such as Oracle, MySQL, and Microsoft SQL, among others.
- Using a simple API call, you may access incredible storage.
- Provides a plethora of features and a strong and reliable performance.
Amazon RDS price starts at $0.01. You may join up for a free edition or a free trial to evaluate the software's many capabilities. One of the greatest features of this tool's price structure is that it enables you to pay for just the assets you utilize.
IBM Informix is a market-leading solution that is well-known for its cost-effective OLTP or Online Transaction Processing efficiency.
This database solution maintains and protects mission-critical data, and it comes with limitless scalability. IBM Informix also offers a massive range of rich feature sets that enables you to fully use data's power.
- Robust Real-Time Analytics: The software enables companies to use real-time analytics to get valuable intelligence that can be turned into profitable actions.
- Developmental Features: IBM Informix uses hybrid DBMS systems that deliver improved data support. This creates room for flexibility and developmental agility.
- Reduced Downtime: The database enables companies to repair and update the grid without interrupting operations. This eliminates downtimes.
- Fewer Hassles: The software's automated capabilities enable you to reallocate resources and concentrate on essential company operations, thereby eliminating unnecessary hassles that come with manual operations.
- Enhanced Operations: IBM Informix uses the basic engine and the warehouse accelerator module for enhancing operations.
- The program is much more embeddable than other relational database management systems.
- It is very compatible and scalable with a broad variety of systems.
- Users may combine relational and non-relational data types.
- Excellent for businesses who want to take advantage of parallel and multithreaded data processing.
- It has a user-friendly dashboard that allows easy server performance monitoring.
IBM Informix pricing begins at $1,250. This plan is called ‘Small.' Other pricing options include $2,000, $4,000, and $8,000 for the Medium, Large, and Extra Large plans, respectively.
Oracle database is a market-leading relational database management system that enables safe data administration. Additionally, it has transaction processing, which guarantees that data remains consistent and legitimate even when several users update the same data.
The program is suitable for companies that have on-premises or cloud-based enterprise-scale database technologies. This popular application has an extensive list of capabilities, including database conversion, data movement, visualization, and performance analysis.
- Cost-Effective: Because Oracle RDBMS does not need the assistance of SQL specialists to comprehend its operation, there is no need to employ a developer. This leads to significant cost reduction over time.
- Pluggable Databases: This is a feature that enables self-contained backup and recovery, reduces resource usage, and reduces the data consolidation risk.
- Flexible: The program performs as well on any machine, regardless of its complexity. Its active design triggers a perfectly compatible reference system.
- High-Efficiency: Oracle RDBMS's newest version comes with a highly sophisticated database while using less space.
- High Performance: Simultaneous processing of union branches reduces the time required for query execution.
- Oracle RDBMS provides a streamlined transactional experience and improved data protection.
- Offers higher administrative controls by allowing users to build partitions.
- It efficiently optimizes all complicated queries.
- Additionally, it allows seamless integrations via dynamic support.
- It offers suggestions that are smart enough to assist developers in working more effectively.
Oracle's price varies significantly and is determined on the size and kind of company. The price is also determined by the existing basic or bespoke software solutions in your present IT infrastructure.
To get more information about the price structure, you must contact the customer service representatives. Once they learn about your needs, they will quote you a price.
Capable of securely linking to a wide range of database systems and offering a high degree of flexibility, SQL Developer offers a diverse set of tools that can serve almost any need.
Additionally, it aids in the simplification of Oracle database creation and administration in both cloud and on-premises installations.
In general, this software performs well for companies with large amounts of data to handle, and requires an excellent scaling architecture.
- Extremely Efficient: This program enables users to create queries in a number of formats and performs numerous queries in very little time.
- Access Other Databases: Gives free access to other databases of the company.
- Query Reuse: Allows query reuse for building report definitions and layouts, which are then output in PDF or HTML format.
- Multiple Integrations: SQL Developer provides enhanced integration capabilities with a range of various databases and different tools.
- Excellent Support: When it comes to support, SQL Developer has one of the best known support systems.
- The program is adaptable and enables customers to streamline their data management processes.
- Access to a variety of various database technologies is provided for free.
- It has an easy UI (user interface) for all fundamental functions.
- There is no program to install; just transfer the files into your operating system.
- The platform offers exceptional assistance for fixing any problems or adding more features.
The program is completely free to use.
PostgreSQL places a premium on compliance with industry standards and extensibility. It is optimized for a variety of workloads, including data warehousing, web services, single-machine applications with many users simultaneously.
PostgreSQL Global Development Group is behind the development of PostgreSQL. PostgreSQL Global Development Group is a collaboration of individual contributors and various corporations. This open-source (and free ) database management system provides a plethora of capabilities to assist small companies, midsize businesses, and large corporations with data management.
- Cross Platform Support: PostgreSQL is a cross-platform database management system that works on a wide variety of operating systems, including Solaris, Linux, FreeBSD and Microsoft Windows.
- Heavy Workload Ready: The program is intended to manage many concurrent users at once, and hence, heavy workloads.
- Database Replication: PostgreSQL's recent versions are highly capable of providing database replication for massive scalability and unmatched security.
- High Availability: The program complies with ANSI SQL and SQL/MED standards.
- Multiple Programming Language Support: PostgreSQL also supports 12 programming languages.
- Despite being free, the program is updated regularly.
- It is well-suited for a broad variety of users, including midrange servers, edge servers, and massive corporations.
- With PostgreSQL you can get on-premises, physical services, as well as cloud subscription services.
- The program complies with ACID standards and it is transactional, too.
- It supports spatial data in addition to a variety of NoSQL-like capabilities for critical value-based and document-based applications.
PostgreSQL is available for free download and usage by anybody. There are no related costs either.
This program enables you to build a single dashboard with several components of data analytics. It has comprehensive vendor support that is capable of meeting all of your online database requirements.
This robust program provides high-performance database development and management capabilities. Because of its graphical user interface (GUI), the program makes creating objects a breeze.
This application enables you to graphically create databases, import and export data to and from databases, and execute all SQL scripts. It's an excellent piece of software for companies seeking a simple and a visual mode of MySQL administration.
- SQL Administrator: This program simplifies the process of administering a SQL server. Maintaining and performing statistics analysis is also extremely simple. Users can also perform management of permissions on the server and several other jobs.
- SQL Backup: This program enables saving time and up to 95% of disk space during the backup procedure.
- Automation of Database Maintenance: EMS SQL Manager also automates database maintenance. This ensures that data availability is at its maximum.
- Support for MySQL Versions 4.12 5.7: EMS SQL Manager supports MySQL versions 4.12 5.7. It is even capable of controlling objects sequentially.
- Database Conversion: EMS SQL Manager makes it simple and versatile to import and export data in a number of different formats.
- It has a robust, user-friendly visual designer for databases.
- People can use it for monitoring their previously existing databases.
- The database makes it easier to execute numerous SQL queries.
- EMS SQL Manager enables HTTP connectivity to PostgreSQL servers.
- It has substantial capabilities to import and export data.
EMS SQL Manager is completely free to download and use.
Teradata continuously utilizes all of your data. This enables you to study anything and deploy everywhere, enabling you to provide the insights that are critical to assisting you in achieving your business objectives.
Teradata, in a nutshell, changes the way your company operates using the power of data. This is referred to as “pervasive data intelligence,” and it is one of the most effective methods to address the intricacy, expense, and inadequacies of traditional analytics techniques.
Teradata is ideal for companies of all sizes and most of the industries, including those in technology, manufacturing, communication, retail, financial services, media, and healthcare.
- Extremely Efficient: It is capable of simultaneously processing numerous queries and producing results at a very high speed.
- Scalability: The program offers improved scalability possibilities and is fully loaded with numerous prebuilt capabilities.
- Parallel Processing: Teradata also supports parallel processing, which gives it a competitive edge over several other database programs in the same category in terms of both analytics and data integration.
- Adaptability: You can analyze anything using Teradata and deploy it wherever you want. You can continuously evaluate company data, ensuring that the insights you need are always available.
- Permission Controls: To assist you in collecting and verifying data, the Teradata makes use of robust permission controls.
- Offers controls for granting access and permissions.
- Various programming languages are supported by Teradata.
- Virtualization is included in the software.
- Support is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, by a live representative.
- Teradata provides a risk-free trial.
The company does not disclose pricing, however you may contact Teradata through their website to learn more. They do provide a free trial, which allows you to evaluate the program and decide if it is a good match for your company.
Altibase is a relational database management system designed to deliver high performance. It is widely regarded as one of the most trustworthy and time-tested in-memory DBMS systems to exist in the world.
With unmatched support and a hybrid design, Altibase has been in business for 19+ years.
Using Altibase, you will be able to take advantage of both in-memory and disk-resident databases in a single unified engine. Additionally, you may save money and improve your scale-out by not sacrificing performance due to coordinators.
- Sharding: The program supports large-scale sharding, which enables linear performance improvements without relying on coordinators, thereby allowing database scaling with no performance decline .
- Partitioned Tables: Altibase allows partitioned tables capable of transferring data between the memory tablespace and disk and the other way round .
- Flexible Deployment Modes: The program supports three distinct deployment modes: in-memory only, on-disk, and memory and disk (hybrid).
- IMDB: Altabase is an In-Memory Database (IMDB) that has an intuitive and lightning-fast design. It is effective for scenarios requiring massive throughput and minimal latency.
- Accessibility Across Sectors: The program is accessible across a variety of industries, including banking and finance, telecommunications, public service, and manufacturing.
- The program utilizes a single engine that is capable of supporting both disk-based and in-memory databases.
- It has a comprehensive set of relational capabilities and tools designed for enterprise-class applications.
- Altibase is compatible with a variety of SQLs used by other systems, notably ANSI SQL-92.
- It is compatible with a variety of programming languages such as C, C+, Java, and many more.
- The platform conducts routine preventive health checks to ensure its continued availability and reliability.
Altibase is an open-source database management system that requires no processing or membership fees.
IBM DB2 is a popular database management system targeted for companies with workloads including high-volume data.
It is an efficient data server that is intended to assist businesses in minimizing the work and time needed for managing their data. It enables them to make use of XML data to increase company agility, while significantly reducing the costs involved in development.
The program is well-suited for a range of applications, including Data Lake, Data Warehouse, Fast Data, and Operational Database.
- Brilliant Task Scheduler: The software's task scheduler enables you to collect data and arrange indexes and tables without any interaction from users.
- XML Support: It enables companies to utilize their XML data more quickly.
- High Availability: To achieve high availability, IBM DB2 makes use of the NEARSYNC, ASYNC, and SYNC HADR models.
- Legacy Software Support: IBM DB2 leverages mainframe technology to fulfill the needs for supporting older Java tools.
- Data Segregation: The tool's tablespace-based architecture and automated storage enable simple partitioning.
- Provides convenient management via control center and command interface.
- Supports both private and cloud-based settings.
- The program has specialized data structuring and management features.
- It integrates readily with a number of platforms.
- It's a rock-solid platform that needs little upkeep.
IBM DB2 offers a free community edition that you may download and use. The Standard edition comes for a price of $1,850, while the Advanced edition costs $7,800 for a 90-day subscription to each VPC (virtual processor core).
MongoDB is one of the most famous NoSQL databases you can find today. It's a repository for massive ideas with the goal of facilitating agility and scalability for improving business operations irrespective of the size of the company.
Just like other contemporary applications, MongoDB is a flexible, agile, scalable, and high-performance database system. It enables entrepreneurs to launch applications of any size.
MongoDB is well-suited for small enterprises, Fortune 500 corporations, government entities, and industry leaders among others.
- Deployment Methods: MongoDB can be installed on Mac and Windows. If you need, it can be deployed as web-based cloud SaaS.
- Brilliant Training Features: MongoDB provides both in-person training and live online training. The company also has extensive documentation. They even arrange webinars.
- Permissions and Access Controls: MongoDB protects against unwanted access and enables you to provide various access rights to users of your choice.
- Phenomenal Support: With a 24/7 live chat and online support, you can find assistance whenever you are in need.
- Backup and Recovery: The program includes dependable options for backup and recovery so that your data remains protected always.
- It can scale horizontally.
- Permits the distribution of huge quantities of data across many computers.
- MongoDB's query speed is much faster.
- Developers have designed it to be schema-free.
- Provides exceptional performance, convenience, and adaptability.
MongoDB is available for free trial. For MO clusters, the software is always free, while the Dedicated plan comes for a price of $57/month. Additionally, they offer a multi-region package for upwards of $95 per month.
This concludes the list of best database software and systems of 2022. Before we close this blurb, it is about time you learn how to select a database software.
Here are the four most important things you should look for in a database software before making a purchase:
Data Protection: The majority of contemporary database systems include several levels of security to ensure the safety and security of a company's data. To prevent the database crashes, there is limited authorized access, frequent load testing, regular capacity testing, and finally, regular patches for known and unknown vulnerabilities. Cloud computing platforms make data breaches extremely difficult, since physical access to servers is not possible.
Multiple Views for Data: A database must be capable of handling multiple data views. Views are nothing more than specified and allocated portions of the database to certain system users. This implies that various users may have distinct views of the exact same system with each view displaying only the information that a specific user needs to know.
Access Control and Data Sharing: Modern database software is intended to support multiple users. You must select a multi-user system that enables concurrent access by a large number of people. This contributes to the improvement of cooperation.
Data Redundancy: The finest database software and systems provide data redundancy control to aid in system performance optimization. Redundancy is managed via application programming, and it is maintained to a minimum through the use of the least amount of redundancy feasible throughout the phase of database design.
The proper DBMS or database management system will provide you with an effective method for gathering, managing, and analyzing a variety of different kinds of data, allowing you to make more informed choices faster. This will result in faster and sustainable business growth.
The list above should give you the starting point you desperately need to find a database management system that is perfect for your business. Our suggestion is to use a free trial or a free version to understand the capabilities. Once you are happy, you can always make a purchase.